Monday, September 04, 2006




From the beginning Oleg and Aidan got along like they had known each other their whole lives. Oleg treated Aidan very well and often gave in to Aidan on the littlest things. Aidan has long sense been the center of the universe in our family and is by all rights a little (well, really allot!) spoiled. BUT, he did so well sharing his room, bed, and toys with Oleg! By day three of this little adventure we knew we were smitten and I had no idea how I was going to send this child home! Oleg was warm, loving and so well behaved. His caregivers obviously do a good job taking care of him. So, the day came when we put him on the phone with a third party translator and she asked him if he was having fun, and did he like us, etc. He said yes. (This was his first time ever using a phone - it was funny!) She then asked him if he would like to live with our family and he said YES! and dropped the phone and ran to John and hugged him tight with an ear-to-ear grin on his face! So now we knew the feeling was mutual! We spent our holiday doing what all Californians do. We went to Disneyland! Quite a thrill to a Ukrainian child who has never been in a car let alone on a roller coaster ride! All in all he did well. He did have a couple of meltdowns - but we were well prepared for that, as we knew this would be a huge over stimulation for him. He loved the pool at the hotel there, and we later found out they don't take baths so all the fresh clean water added up to 2 thirty minute baths each day...he loved it! Our family and friends showered him with gifts and love. Although he arrived with a backpack containing 3 each of socks, underwear and T-shirts (all girls clothes mind you!) Oleg went home with a huge suitcase full of clothes and toys - including gifts for his fellow orphans to pass out.
When Olegs caregiver Ludmyllia came to stay with us the last couple of days we enjoyed our time with her and we even got her on a horse! It was great! On her last day we took her to a restaurant as a family. Ludmyllia was soft-spoken and very sweet. If she spoke any English we never heard it! Oleg was all smiles as he ordered his favorite meal for breakfast - chicken nuggets! As we ate John was teasing him on his newly acquired pudgy belly. Oleg came to us sullen and pale with little color in his cheeks, and skinny (at 11 yrs he only wore a size 7). He was going home healthier and with a little more meat in his bones. As we joked Ludmyllia started to cry. I was alarmed! Oh GREAT! What had we done! Why was she crying! Not a good start for a meeting where you want to make a good impression on the only voice you have going back to the orphanage! I got on the phone immediately and called a translator - and after they spoke to her they were laughing when the told me 'She is crying happy tears. She has never seen Oleg so happy!" Phew! We all were relieved! I was getting a little worried there. But, it just confirmed even more that this little boy was a part of our lives and we had to make it stay that way! God was working with us and his plan was clearly spelled out!Now the sad part! When the time came for Oleg to return home I knew I could not do it. He stayed close to my side for the last day or two - prior to that it was all about John :) Women are for sure the authority over there in their eyes. John was more fun - I was the rule enforcer...As it came time for Oleg to leave my heart was broken. I don't think I have ever felt such a severe sense of loss and pain as I did at that moment. As he got in the car he was crying and I told him "I know you are sad. We are going to come get you - so don't cry. You have to be a good boy and listen to your teachers so they will let us come get you Oleg. We love you!" He still doesn't know English well, but I knew he understood what I was saying to him that evening. Oleg then told me "I love you mama! I love you!" and off they went. At one point when they were at the airport John said Oleg took the keys and said "Papa, let's go!" Let me share with you that my husband was severely temped to do just that. But at the risk of jeopardizing future visits for other children, he of course knew that he could not. So now you see how we came to love this little boy Oleg...I will continue the rest tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home