Thursday, October 12, 2006

We met Oleg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

















Words will do no justice as to how wonderful it felt to hold Oleg in my arms again!

So much to share…I will start at the beginning:

First, the train ride was an adventure – enough said. Bed cooties are not my favorite subject. We arrived at 6 a.m and off we went towards Oleg's orphanage.

Second, we had to drive 2.5 hours in a winding and bumpy road to get to Oleg’s orphanage located outside of Kharkiv. I thought I would throw up with all the tension of getting there. My butterflies WERE not listening to my head! The van smelled like gas fumes and there are any shocks that were left were gone by the end of the trip there. The land is very pretty and looks a lot like Arkansas.

Irene had called a few days ahead to make sure they knew we were coming. We asked them not to tell Oleg.

The director was suppose to be out as he was on vacation. But when we arrived we found out he had come in for us and another family that was there. (Incidentally, that man with that friendly family shook my hand and said “I like your Blog”. I had never seen this person before in my life! He had a heavy accent, I’m not sure where he was from. But WOW! Someone else adopting who had read my blog! It is my understanding that they were there about permission on the sibling of another child they were adopting. At least that’s what I think Irene said.)

We stepped foot on the orphanage yard and the children flocked towards us. As we walked up the ramp one child asked Irene in Ukrainian “Are you here to see Oleg?” So, they knew we were coming *smile*…

They all seemed genuinely glad that we were there. We went to see the school lawyer first. He was located in a corner office upstairs no bigger than a bathroom. He was very nice. He verified all of Oleg’s documents and then he took us down stairs to the principles office. We waited for the other family to finish and then we went inside. He spoke with the lawyer and told him we could see Oleg that day. Yeah! They sent someone to go get him, but I have a feeling news traveled fast and he knew we were there. (The rules say we have to wait). So, as we were sitting there he asked questions like “You met Oleg while hosting?” Yes. “Do you want to adopt Oleg” Duh?! Yes…” You have other children at home” Yes. “Where do you live?” California…I tried to pay attention but each time the door opened I turned my head…

Then, finally, the door opened and Olegs head popped in. His eyes were as big a saucers don’t know who ran to who faster…me or him. I said "Oh!" and popped out of my chair fast a lightning! He hugged me as tight as could be and said “Mama, I luvs you! (Ukrainian accent again!) I cried and cried. I happen to glance over Oleg sholder at the lawyer and he was grinning from ear to ear and looked a little misty eyed. John was next. Oleg jumped in his arms. “I luv you papa!” He then asked ”Where are Chris, Bryce, and Aidan?” Sweet boy! That’s the same question he asked at the airport the first night we picked him up. We told him they were at home. John said to him “See, I told you we would come get you!) He shook his head yes and kissed us both on the cheeks. I was in heaven! We had other matters to discuss, and paper work to be filled out and filed. So, as much as I hated to we gave Oleg a hug and kiss good bye as it was time for his lunch and a shower.

We walked to the courthouse (not much of a town I tell ya!) and did some stuff. Then walked to the private notary and did some more stuff with signatures. Check, check! We then moved on the harder things on our schedule…

It had already been established that Oleg has an older brother. We needed to go to the boarding school where he resides and get his permission to adopt Oleg. Uh Oh!…a snag!
So, we loaded in the fumey car and told Oleg we had to get some paper work signed and would be back soon. Typical boy! His friends all came in with him to the office and Oleg was now all ‘Big Boy”. One small hug…he was with his friends now…had to look cool. No problem *grin* He walked down the hall in front of us and his cronies followed behind. *sigh*, they grow up soooo fast *smile*

So, off went to some town I can’t even pronounce looking for Oleg’s brother. We had to stay the night in Kharkiv by the time we arrived. The next morning we were on our way again. We stopped at a big store called the Metro. It was a lot like Sams Club. I was so totally at home! We shopped for food while at Oleg’s orphanage ‘cause let me tell ya, there wasn’t much there to get. We also got candy and cookies for the kids. LOTS! It’s like playing Santa.

(We have an apartment lined up through the school, but we haven’t seen it yet. More news to come on that issue. )

We arrived and met with the principle of the school and discussed the situation. Olegs brother Alex asked if he could see Oleg before we left the Ukraine, and we told him yes. He asked if he could visit in America and we said yes. He looked at me and asked if we had a picture of Oleg. John jumped up and went to the car to get it. He looked at the pictures and read the letter form Oleg. Soon after he said he "had no problem with it".

They put a paper in front of him and he wrote it out. Then he cried. Bless his heart. Three people asked him if he was okay with it, and he said yes, but he still cried. I know in my heart he was thinking: “I don't have a family like this”. We will not forget this young man and will foster good communication between him and Oleg. At 16 he will soon be moving on into his own adult life. He has done a selfless thing today. We willnot forget it.

Here’s something funny. Near the beginning of all this Alex asked John if he had American money. Hmmmmm. Okay. John said “sure” and handed him a $20 bill. He thought it was funny looking and commented that it was much longer than Ukrainian money. He and John laughed and talked a bit then he said "Can I keep it?". John said yes (glad it wasn't a hundred!)
The principle said he had never seen American money, and she knows that as soon as he figures out he has 100 Grevnas (Ukrainian Dollars) He will be shocked.

So we are now back in Kharkiv and what would appear to be the hardest part of our journey is now completed. It will take up to 5 days to get the court hearing and then we wait for court. John and I leave at 6 am tomorrow for another 2.5 hour drive to Sahnovshchina to meet with Oleg again and wait out the second part of the journey. Irene will settle us in and then she is off to Kiev to submit the paper so for court. John and I will be waiting for the ping pong table to come and help get it set up. Then there are some projects we would like to start working on for the school.

Thank you all for your prayers, comments and e-mails. John and I look forward to them each day. I cannot figure out how to reply to Blog comments, but be assured they are appreciated very much!

Till the next time I have internet!
Adios...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

You made me cry though, think about Alex :-( How difficult that must have been for him. I am glad though that Oleg will have a loving family.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you guys...Oleg's grin couldn't be any bigger and brighter. You have our continued prayers as you move forward.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cried when I read about your meeting . . . so wonderful to be a family finally. His reaction was precious. God bless you and Oleg.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey aunt Kym, were so happy, i dont really know what to say. we wish all the best for you and i cant wait to see him.

Loves from all of us....

Jeny, Royce, Kristyn, Becky

Savage

7:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Congratulations!
Oleg has a wonderful brother! What a wonderful thing for him to do. You should be very proud of him too!
Hoping you a speedy and safe trip!
Amy

8:09 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

Bawling my eyes out. Thanks a LOT!!! I am thrilled for your family and your new addition and my heart breaks for Alex. If you see him again, tell him how brave us Americans think he is and that he's famous for his noble character now :)

6:26 AM  
Blogger Kayla Thompson said...

Hi!
I am Kayla Thompson, we were just in Kharkiv in May and can SOOOOO relate to the journey you are on now. Our kids are from the Slinko Street orphanage there in Kharkiv. What a joy it will be for you to bring your Oleg home! Isn't it a crazy feeling when half of your heart is on the other side of the world! Now you can be complete. When you get back, can I ask you a favor. We were so shell shocked when we were there that I forgot to take pictures of teh Kiev train station. Will you email me some of yours, please, for my children's scrapbook? My email is yeahGod@inetfamily.us THanks you so much, and we look forward to continue to reading about your journey!!!
Kayla :)

PS: you can read about our journey on www.thompsonsrus.blogspot.com :)

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home